Sunday, August 27, 2017

Sigrok is Awesome!

Just today I reviewed the sigrok project and found that they currently support my RIGOL DS1102E oscilloscope.  This is great, I wondered if that included protocol decoding as well.  I build the code from the latest git clones for each of the sub-projects that I needed, and went off to work trying this out.  I didn't take screenshots of the first few times I connected to the scope, as they just worked and I was more interested in getting to the protocol decoding.  I fired up my copy of CrossWorks for Arm and started writing some simple code to send data to a UART.  You can see this in the screenshot below.

UART Code for the first test.

Once I had that done, I flashed the firmware to a small Cortex-M0 development board I have and connect it to USB TTL serial converter.  The data was sent to my development workstation and I saw it in a screen session.  Next, I hooked up the oscilloscope probes to the proper micro-controller pins and connected to the oscilloscope with pulseview.  The screenshot below shows the traces, and the protocol being decoded!

UART signals decoded.

I also took a combined screenshot of how I was actually working with pulseview and CrossStudio at the same time.  Sometimes, people find that interesting.

Working with pulseview and CrossStudio.


I recorded a video of me working with pulseview and CrossStudio as I change code and view the firmware output.

Well, Until the next time.




No comments: